Strategies for Engagement #12
…to explore topics within a new context or framework
Changing the context within which teaching and learning happens can give a whole new perspective. For example, using a map of the parish puts the church in the centre of a local area study in geography and provides a new framework. A service framework for a topic on transport can help pupils explore how transport can serve the community.
- Learners can be encouraged to think differently about modern foreign languages if a hospitality framework is used rather than a tourist model, for example, exploring the language needed in role-play to welcome a new person from another country to your class.
- Learners can rethink classroom expectations of behaviour in personal development (PSHE), changing the common framework of a desert island to one of a playground or garden. Pupils can make paper people and write about the people they need to become to live in harmony in and delight in God’s garden or playground, rather than concentrating on survival.
- Learners can reconsider advertising in design and technology by viewing it in light of a concept such as contentment. This can lead them to designing a different style of advert as a result of seeing advertising in a new light rather than just taking it for granted.
This article is drawn on by:
- Example: Art and Beliefs
- Example: Design and Delight
- Example: God's World
- Example: Book Week
- Example: Grammar and Giving
- Example: Writing About Others
- Example: Maths and Giving
- Example: History and Poverty
- Example: What Tests Teach
- Example: What is Love?
- Example: Maths and Justice
- Example: Sport and Respect
- Example: History and Riches (Primary)
- Example: Words as Gifts
- Example: Transport and Service
- Example: Drama and Others
- Example: Design and Communities
- Example: Computers and Humans
- Example: Rules and Virtues
- Example: Responsibility and Community
- Example: Art and Attentiveness
- Example: History and Riches (Secondary)
- Example: Geography and Justice
- Example: Reason and Faith
- Example: Design and Contentment
- Example: Design and Humility
- Example: Maps and Values
- Example: Maps and Local Needs
- Example: Guests in God's World
- Example: Loving Texts
- Example: Surgery and Gratitude